Monday, March 9, 2015

Design Wall Monday-Oil Change, Secret Clues & Shop Hop

I have some back-tracking to do.  I did not post my visit to Fulton, two weeks ago.  It always seems a little funny how some of my shop hops develop.  I mentioned to several of my "quilty" friends that I was going to D & D Motors to have the oil changed in my vehicle.  Then I planned to head over to The Quilt Box Quilt Shop in Kewanee.  Kathy O and Maribel K decided that they wanted to accompany me on my journey.  The day was easily made into a multiple store shop hop. 

Here is a clue to a future story:  Before heading out to Kewanee and picking up Kathy O and Maribel K, I shipped a quilt to Houston.

When I headed out to pick up my friends, the roads weren't the best so it slowed me down.  We were a little late arriving for the oil change.  I think we made up the lost time quickly as the mechanics wanted to go to lunch, so tire rotation and oil change happened smoothly.

Arriving at The Quilt Box was a warm experience.  The girls who own the shop are always happy to see us.  We took in our template for English Paper Piecing the Patchwork of the Crosses.
We used the above template to audition different fabrics and to imagine how we would cut out the different designs.  I found a bargain bin of $2 fat quarters.  (Did the happy dance!)  After leaving our money at the store and taking their fabric, we headed out for lunch.  We voted on an economy style lunch saving more money for future shopping.
A quick selfie after picking up sandwiches at Subway.  We headed for LeClaire, Ia, for Expressions in Thread, not.  I had "sometimers disease".  I forgot the turn off for LeClaire and drove straight to Fulton's Susan's Calico Creations.  The girls didn't act like back-seat-drivers and question where I was going.
 
We spent the rest of the day at the sewing day in Fulton.  I was excited to introduce Kathy and Maribel to all my friends that meet at Fulton several times a year.
Congratulations on your beautiful finish, Susie!

Below is the back of the quilt.  Just stunning. 
 
Below are Susan's Patchwork of the Crosses blocks. 
This is an example of why we audition fabrics with the template.  Notice how the stripes are used in each block.  Also, the placement of light and dark fabrics changes the block design.  You look at fabric very differently after taking a class in this technique.
 
Susie made this wonderful Quilt of Valor for a man in her town. Susie designed the center block as the man was in the Navy.  It was going to be presented at his eighty-something birthday party the following weekend.
 
There was another Quilt of Valor that was a surprise.  I will have to get more information about it before sharing the story.
 
Today I am linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times, Nurdan at Hug-a-Bit Quilts, and Beth at her scrappy blog Cooking Up Quilts.
 
Yours in quilting,
Terry
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun outing...that valor quilt is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfectly fun day with your friends! Impromptu shop hops are the best! :) Thanks for linking up to MCM!

    ReplyDelete