Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Work in Progress-"See My Work at Quilt Festival Chicago!"

"See My Work at Quilt Festival Chicago!"
 
 
On March 9th I dropped some clues HERE to something important coming up in the future.  I can now share to good news that my "Easy Street" quilt has been juried into Quilt Festival Chicago at Donald Stevens Convention Center.  Easy Street was chosen along with 28 quilts to be in the Midwest Marvels display. Below is the invitation received through my guild.
 
"Midwest Marvels would like to invite you and your guild to have your best work shown in this exciting exhibit focusing on Marvelous Midwest quilters. This exhibit is open to quilters in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan."
 
As Paul Harvey would say, "now for the rest of the story".  When I received the emails from the Gems of the Prairie Guild and Quilts, Inc. about the entry forms and pictures, I was literally walking out the door to a funeral for my friend's son.  I was distraught and didn't see how I could possibly meet the deadline less than a week away.  I responded to Quilts, Inc. and they were so understanding. They gave the quilters another week to get all entries sent in.  Not only did I have a funeral to get through, we had a major snow storm.  Trying to get professional pictures taken of this extremely large quilt was almost impossible.  I took it up to the local quilt store and hung it off their second story bannister, which created a bend in the quilt.  Plus, my friend's professional camera malfunctioned so no appropriate pictures.  Then the roads were icy and it wasn't safe to travel. Next we took it out to our church and hung it on the wall, but my friend forgot the camera.  When her daughter brought us the camera, it wouldn't work.  Argh!!! 
 
Between doing everything but ride a snowmobile to take pictures and fancy cameras that didn't work, I was about ready to throw the towel in.  My friend, Corry, suggested that we try using my cell phone camera as it was a high quality camera.  Bingo!  We had great pictures.  I ran home quickly, cropped pictures and completed the entry form.  Yippee!! the quilt was entered with confirmation  received.  Now the waiting began. 
 
The entry form stated we would receive notification on February 13th, whether our quilts were juried into the show.  On that day we were shop hopping and I purposely did not check my email.  Late in the day I finally gave in and checked.  There was the response but I was hesitant to open it afraid of rejection.  Instead of rejection, the email said "Congratulations!" your quilt has been accepted for the Midwest Marvels display.  Whoopee!!!

 
The quilt was prepared for shipping according to their instructions and was received in Houston on time. 
 
Tomorrow I will be  heading to Chicago to see my quilt hung in the show and work at the Sew Batiks booth for Thursday and Friday with my new friend, Diane.  If you are at the show, stop by and say Hi, I would love to meet my readers in person.  I also will be across the aisle from Handi Quilter, my favorite longarm dealer.
 
I get to come home and sleep in my own bed Friday night and then take the bus with my guild friends back to the show for a day of shopping. 
 
Today I will be linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced.
 
Yours in quilting,
Terry
 


1 comment: